Wednesday 21 February 2018

The Backblog Project

What if I kept writing this blog, every day, for over a year but didn't post anything?

Can you imagine?

Well, I haven't been doing that.

But (and it's a medium but) I have done about ten.

They're sitting there in Draft, rattling their prison bars, yanking their rusty chains, gnawing at, like, some kind of warden or whatever. They want out. Soon, my pretties. Soon.

These are an assortment of posts deemed unpublishable for a number of reasons. Some are inflammatory. Some were written at a time when I felt incapable of dealing with the praise they would inevitably generate. Some were all ready to go when I was called into the kitchen to rescue a burning cake.

The only thing they have in common is that they're not of sufficient quality to publish.

Not on their own, anyway.

But if I put them all out there, as part of an overarching project, these insufficient crumbs will form a lumpen scone that just about passes muster.

I'm going to try to publish a post a day for ten days. I'll seem quite prolific.

Prolificacy (or prolificy, or prolificness) is all a matter of timescales. If you cram a couple of good things into a single second, you can claim to be prolific. But if those good things are spread over four point two billion years, people will make fun of your sporadic output.

One man's 'Terrence Malick' is another man's 'Terrence Malick from 2011 onwards'.

I think I just explained explained what the word 'prolific' means. What a waste of time!

At the moment, it says (11) next to the Draft posts. That's because of this one. This is also a draft.

Wouldn't it be funny if I didn't post this one either? Imagine if this one was thrown into jail cell to join the others, crammed in, American-style, never to see the light of day.

How ironic that would be!

But no. I will post this one. This is up-to-the minute. By means of proof, to show you how current this is, I can tell you that...

*checks newspaper headline*

print isn't dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment