Monday 31 December 2012

2012: The Year in Operating System Loyalty Scarf Embroidery Mishaps

Meow.

Or, to any non-cats reading: woof.

It's New Year's Eve. It seems like as good a time as any to make that statement.

The best thing about New Year's Eve is the sewer rats have their fill of discarded punch. It gets poured away every New Year's Day. There's loads of it, because people hate punch. No-one wants to drink punch. Maybe if you're in Hawaii, you might go along with it, just for the cultural experience. Like how people try surfing when they're holidaying in a surfboard shop. But generally, it's hated.

Gallons of it are poured down the sink, flushed down the toilet, or ladled into a bidet. But our loss is the rats' gain. New Year's Day is Rat Christmas. The rodent messiah was actually born in August, but they fudged it. Now it's all part of a big punch-fuelled celebration. If you listen carefully, you can hear slurred rodent carols reverberating up the pipes.

God bless those rats.

But enough about the folly of punch. I didn't come here to write about that. I came here to look back upon the past twelve months. Luckily, I sketched the world once an hour, every hour, all year. Now I have a flip book that can act as my guide, even though I can't draw noses.


DiamondBadger's Headscissors Review of 2012


My Year-End Reviews aren't like those other ones you've read. I'm not aiming for a comprehensive retrospective. I'm not aiming for cultural analysis. I'm not aiming for insight of any kind.

I'm not aiming for anything. I'm blind. I'm just firing my crossbow randomly into the darkness, hoping to bag myself a goose.

Here are the old ones:


If you've been born this year, you might want to read these. They'll catch you up with what's happened to the human race recently. Like one of those "Previously on..." segments you get at the beginning of television programmes. ("Previously on Earth, Paul sullied the internet.")

Each year, I fill in the old categories and add some new ones. Always strive to be the best. Don't get complacent. One day, a blog may be written with categories I haven't even thought of. I need to branch out.

Life-Changing Event of 2012

I went blind.

(That's a half-truth - I'm only blind when I'm mid-blink.)

We bought a flat. I don't know whether we've technically bought it yet, or if there are more confusing hoops to jump through. It has been terrifying, and I can't wait until the transaction is complete. Buying a flat makes me feel like an adult, and feeling like an adult makes me feel like a ten-year-old caught in a tedious administrative version of Big. Hanks I ain't.

Anything else? I've done more stand-up this year. That's something.

There's probably something massive that I've forgotten. Did I change gender this year? It's difficult to keep track. I'm wearing women's underwear, but that's no guarantee of anything (other than a new, sexy layer to the office-gossip lasagne).

Oh, I re-read and catalogued all of my previous blog posts. That was an exhausting odyssey, but has improved my life one-fold.

TV Programme of 2012

It was a good year for television. I don't know if that's true in general, but I certainly saw a lot of things that I liked.

Louie and Breaking Bad continued, and continued to be very good. (Though - and this may be sacrilegious - I found the last couple of Breaking Bad episodes a bit disappointing. Hopefully the final half-season will tie everything up in a nice bloody package.)

I think there are two shows that stand out. They are similar in premise, completely different in execution, and yet similar (again) in heart.

The second season of Fresh Meat was really good. I enjoyed the first season, but the programme seems to have really hit its stride. It's funny, it's touching, and there are lots of good performances (particularly Zawe Ashton as Vod). I just like hanging out with the characters, and I'm looking forward to the next season.

I've watched Community more than I've watched anything else this year. I watched the new episodes, old episodes on DVD, episodes with commentary, extra features, and several billion gifs on Tumblr.

I still can't decide what it is about Community that I like. I'm certainly in love with at least one of the characters, which helps. The best thing about it is that as soon as you think you have it figured out, they'll throw a curveball and deliver something completely different.

They do 'concept' episodes that don't seem cheap or cynical. There's always an obvious affection for the subject matter. There's a whole episode where the characters play a video game, but there are real-world stakes for their success or failure.



It's easy to see why it has such a devoted (i.e. nutty) fan-base.

Shoe of 2012

The golf clog.


Film of 2012

As usual, I haven't seen enough films to make this section worthwhile. I've moved it down the pecking order, so its redundancy is not so obvious.

Which films have I seen this year? Three superhero ones and The Master and Looper.

I suppose Avengers Assemble is a worthy winner. I've probably seen it too many times, though.

I also saw loads of older films. Some of which were good (Paris, Texas; Drive; A Man For All Seasons) and some were less good (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo; The Happening).

Just to make this section slightly interesting, here's a funny film joke:

Q: What did John Ford say to John Wayne?
A: "We can't have two Johns on this set. From now on, call me Fohn Jord. Action!"

Moment of 2012 (new category!)

I think this category will come back to haunt me next year, but I need somewhere to write about this.

Football is a thing I like. The 2011/12 season was perhaps my favourite of them all.

The main thing was that Southampton were promoted to the Premier League. That was tremendous and surprising. (We also seem to be acclimatising to life up in the big time, though it will be a hard season.) But there wasn't really a "moment" that sent us up.

There were also exciting moments with Chelsea winning the FA Cup, and the Champions League (especially with that Neville-moan Torres-goal ridiculous Barca semi-final).

But the end of the Premier League season was the best "moment". Manchester City won the title from United on goal difference with an injury time winner.

I like it for many reasons, but the main one is that it was a rare case of reality working like fiction. The slimmest of margins, then glory plucked from defeat with seconds to go. It's weird. I don't support Man City, but I can't stop watching that Aguero goal on Youtube. I just find myself watching it if I have a free moment. I suppose I dislike United enough for it to seem like a triumph for me!

The real fun comes from the reactions of other people. I love seeing the dejected City fans suddenly become ecstatic, and tears of sadness turning to tears of joy. This video is a compilation of various fans' reactions to that goal. It's lots of fun, even if you don't like football. The response is so extreme that it's ridiculous. But I won't ridicule them, because I'd totally do the same in their position.




Music of 2012

I did a Grooveshark playlist containing my favourite songs of the year. These are probably my favourite songs of 2012.

Ben Folds Five - Do It Anyway

The album was a bit disappointing, but this song is great. Also, the video has Fraggles.



Killer Mike - Don't Die

This is aggressive and sweary and cool.



Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Schnitzel Boogie

This song gets stuck in my head once every three minutes.



Misunderstanding of 2012

I was wrongly named the Sexiest Woman Alive by the readers of FHM magazine. The result was declared null and void when it was discovered that I perished two months previously.

Knock-Knock Joke of 2012 

(Ugh. Thanks for this category, 2011 Paul.)

Knock knock
Who's there?
Jimmy Saville
Oh. I thought you were dead. And... well... tarnished somewhat.
No, that's 'Savile' with one 'l'. I have two.
Oh.
Can I come in?
I'd still prefer it if you didn't. No offence.
None taken.

Stuffed Animal of 2012

I think this will have to go to Martin Startle. He's not only a turtle, but he PROJECTS STARS. Star! Turtle! Startle! Martin!

Lucy bought him for me. He's educational and a turtle. It's a winning combination.




Tendon of 2012

TenDon the Terrifying.

He's a robot that has the strength of eleven Mafia bosses. But ElevenDon sounded stupid.

Ordeal of 2012 (new category!)

This one probably won't be hard to fill in each year. I consider a trip to the Post Office as an ordeal.

This year, I've had the house-buying ordeal. But the most visceral displeasure was jury service. It was scary and boring. It only lasted two days, for which I will be eternally grateful to God and the judge that broke my leg.

Albert of 2012


Stand-up of 2012

I haven't really seen much stand-up this year (except when I've been performing). But I have listened to some new stuff recently, mainly from Americans. Americans are innately hilarious, because they live far away and sound like films.

Kyle Kinane is very funny. I've also watched Maria Bamford's recent comedy special. She performs a gig with only her parents as an audience. It's strange and compelling. You can download it for not much dough here.

Podcast of 2012

I don't listen to podcasts anymore. Except Marc Maron's WTF podcast, which is still good.

But I'd like to fill in this category with a hilarious joke, where I misunderstand what "podcast" means! Here we go!

My favourite podcast this year were the actors who starred in The Poddington Peas!

They are the "cast" of a show about peas. Peas live in "pods". Pod cast.

(!!!!!!)

Number of 2012

Nife.

Celebrity Sighting of 2012

I saw Thom Yorke on the way to work the other day. He was wearing a woolly hat. Why? To keep his superfluous letters warm. I didn't see the superfluous 'e', but the superfluous 'h' was sticking out the top.

Picture of a Vegetable Made in MS Paint of 2012



Odd Celebrity Crush of 2012

I can't think of any this year. Maybe my tastes have become more sophisticated. I might start fancying newsreaders or John Nettles. I need to grow up.

Language of 2012

Body.

Tool of 2012

The "Coward's Lathe" (or "sponge").

Annoyance of 2012

Gambling adverts. They're everywhere. If you watch sport, you can't escape them. I don't think there's anything innately immoral about gambling, but I hate to see massive betting companies trying to sell gambling to the poor as though it's some kind of lifestyle choice.

THEY ARE TRYING TO TAKE YOUR MONEY. THEY ARE NOT ON YOUR SIDE. DON'T GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY.

Disclaimer of 2012

I'm writing this whilst bricked-up in an aqueduct.

Clothing Item of 2012

My blue shirt. Good old bluey. I'm wearing him right now. I could blend into any blue background. I could drown and no-one would notice. Good old bluey.

Catchphrase of 2012 (new category!)

"I'll say!"

Fact of 2012 (new category!)

There are more atoms in a human finger than there are fingers in a human pie. Stay busy.

Best Bit from My Review of 2012

"Good old bluey."

Prediction for 2013

Lloyd's of London will rename themselves "Floyd's of London", and will relocate to one of the other Londons.

***

This has been far too long. The review has taken almost as long as the year itself.

This is me signing off.

I'll see you in 2013. I'm sure we'll all enjoy debating reactions to the death of Thatcher.

Remember: don't drink too much punch. The rats need their share.

I'll say!

No comments:

Post a Comment